The objective of sequencing is for your child to be independently able to recognize a logical order. Sequencing will help your child to put things in a logical order and will teach him to apply these skills in everyday life. You can use sequencing cards first and then move on to everyday situations like getting dressed, setting the table, making food, brushing teeth and many more.
What to do
- Sit on the floor at or at the table with your child.
- Engage your child by saying his name and or touching his arm.
- Take a set of sequencing cards and put them in front of your child, out of order.
- After you have your child’s attention say, point to the cards and say “(Child’s name) put in order”.
- Perfect outcome: your child takes the cards and puts them in order.
- Not so perfect outcome: your child picks up the cards and plays with them.
- What to do: reengage your child by saying his/her name and or touching his/her arm and repeat the instruction “(Child’s name) put in order”, then prompt your child to put the cards in order.
- After that engage your child again and repeat. If your child puts the cards in the right order, great, reinforce. If not repeat the steps from above. Repeat it three times and if your child still is not getting it move on to a different task and come back to it later. Also once your child gets the prompted instruction right, redirect your child to a simple task he/she has mastered and then go back to the original instruction to make sure your child got it.
- Tip: It is often easier for a child with autism to put things in order when you use a template. Take a piece of paper and draw as many squares on there as you have sequencing cards. Write 1,2, 3 etc on there. It will give your child an idea on what you want them to do. After your child can put the sequencing cards in order on the template start fading the template out.
It might take your child a while, a couple days maybe even a couple weeks, to grasp the concept of what is asked of him/her. Don’t get frustrated and stick with the program. Your child will get there! Reinforce (Praise) a right response or even if your child is trying really hard. In the video you will see a demonstration of how to run “Sequencing” program.
Items you need:
Sequencing cards. You can buy them online or at specialty stores or you can go online and print them. If you don’t’ have access to any of the above, you can always draw simple sequences.