Matching with cards
The objective of matching with cards is for your child to independently be able to match picture cards.
What to do
- Sit on the floor at or at the table with your child.
- Have a matching set of cards in your hands. Put one card in front of your child.
- Engage your child by saying his name and or touching his arm.
- After you have your child’s attention, hand your child the other card and say “(Child’s name) match”.
- Perfect outcome: your child takes the card and puts it on top of the other card. Praise!
Not so perfect outcome: your child takes the card but just holds it.
- What to do: reengage your child by saying his/her name and or touching his/her arm and repeat the instruction “(Child’s name) match”, then prompt your child to take the card and put it on top of the other one.
- After that engage your child again and repeat. If your child matches the card by putting it on top to the other card, great, reinforce. If not repeat the steps from above.
- Repeat it three times and if your child still is not getting it move on to a different task and come back to it later. Also once your child gets the prompted instruction right, redirect your child to a simple task he/she has mastered and then go back to the original instruction to make sure your child got it.
Start with on card on the table to match. Make sure your child puts the matching card on top of the card on the table. Also once your child can match one card, start expanding the field of cards; meaning put 2 different cards on the table to match and once a field of two is mastered increase it to a field of 3 different cards.
It might take your child a while, a couple days maybe even a couple weeks, to grasp the concept of what is asked of him/her. Don’t get frustrated and stick with the program. Your child will get there! Reinforce (Praise) a right response or even if your child is trying really hard. In the video you will see a demonstration of how to run “Matching with cards” program. If you have any further questions or concerns please join our support desk.
Items you need:
ANY matching 3D object such as blocks, shapes, socks, bowls, plates, forks, spoons, lids, clothespins, straws, cups, crayons, markers, cookie cutters, playdough.