The objective of teeth brushing is for your child to be independently able to brush his/her own teeth.
Instructions for Lesson
- Take your child to the bathroom and put a tooth brush and tooth paste in front of your child.
- Get your child’s attention by either saying your child’s name or touching your child’s arm.
- Once you have your child’s attention say “It’s time to brush your teeth”.
Using the deconstruction method is a great way to teach your child to brush his/her teeth.
Steps for teeth brushing
- Pick up toothbrush
- Wet toothbrush
- Put toothpaste on toothbrush
- Put toothbrush to lips
- Put tooth brush in mouth and tap teeth
- Brush teeth, start with 5 seconds of brushing, then 10 seconds and start singing the ABC song. At the completion of teeth brushing your child should be able to “brush teeth” for the entire lengths of the ABC song.
Your child may have a hard time in the beginning having in object in his/her mouth. Your child might gag or refuse to open his/her mouth. Just keep on trying. It might take a while for your child to get used to it but over time it will happen. Always praise your child for trying even if teeth brushing is not completely successful. Every step of the way counts.
– Toothbrush, toothpaste, bathroom or bowl of water.