Breakdown for “putting on a hat.”
- Tell Child you are going to put on hat
- Start by leaving on for 2 seconds then praise – Repeat
- The leave hat on for 5 seconds then praise – Repeat until comfortable
- Move up to 10 seconds, 15 seconds, etc
- Work with you child until you can leave on for as long as needed
- Eventually, let the child wear the hat around the house
- Work on hats months in advance (meaning give a few months for seasonal hats)
Other Items . . .
Since you are working on each step separately help your child with putting on the article of clothing after each step is completed. This concept works for any other piece of clothing as well: shirts, undershirts, underwear, sweaters, shoes, socks, swim suits, jackets, hats, and gloves.
Items you need
- Any other piece of clothing