ROL with Numbers
The objective of ROL with numbers is for your child to be independently able to identify numbers by touching them or pointing to them.
What to do
1. Sit on the floor or table with your child.
2. Engage your child by saying his name and or touching his arm.
3. After you have your child’s attention write a number “1” on a piece of paper and put it in front of your child. Say “(child’s name) touch “1”?”
4. Perfect outcome: child touches the number “1”.
5. Not so perfect outcome: your child just sits there.
a. Reengage your child by saying his/her name and or touching his/her arm and repeat the instruction “(Child’s name) touch “1”?”, then prompt your child to touch the picture.
After that engage your child again and repeat.
If your child touches the number, reinforce. If not repeat the steps from above. Repeat it three times and if your child still is not getting it move on to a different task and come back to it later. Also once your child gets the prompted instruction right, redirect your child to a simple task he/she has mastered and then go back to the original instruction to make sure your child got it.
It might take your child a while, a couple days maybe even a couple weeks, to grasp the concept of what is asked of him/her. Don’t get frustrated and stick with the program. Your child will get there! Reinforce (Praise) a right response or even if your child is trying really hard. In the video you will see a demonstration of how to run “ROL with numbers” program. If you have any further questions or concerns please join our support desk.
Items you need
Pictures/cards/write of numbers.