ROL with community helpers
The objective of ROL with community helpers is for your child to be independently able to identify community helpers by touching or pointing to them.
What to do
- Sit on the floor or table with your child.
- Engage your child by saying his name and or touching his arm.
- After you have your child’s attention put a picture of a community helper, for example a fire fighter, in front of your child. Say “(Child’s name) find” fire fighter”.
- Perfect outcome: child touches the “fire fighter”.
- Not so perfect outcome: your child just sits there.
- Reengage your child by saying his/her name and or touching his/her arm and repeat the instruction “(Child’s name) find “fire fighter.”, then prompt your child to touch the fire fighter.
After that engage your child again and repeat. If your child touches the right picture, reinforce. If not repeat the steps from above. Repeat it three times and if your child still is not getting it move on to a different task and come back to it later. Also once your child gets the prompted instruction right, redirect your child to a simple task he/she has mastered and then go back to the original instruction to make sure your child got it.
It might take your child a while, a couple days maybe even a couple weeks, to grasp the concept of what is asked of him/her. Don’t get frustrated and stick with the program. Your child will get there! Reinforce (Praise) a right response or even if your child is trying really hard. In the video you will see a demonstration of how to run “ROL with community helpers” program.If you have any further questions or concerns please join our support desk.
Items you need
Pictures of community helpers.