ROL with colors
The objective of ROL with colors is for your child to be independently able to identify colors by touching or pointing to them.
What to do
- Sit on the floor or table with your child.
- Engage your child by saying his name and or touching his arm.
- After you have your child’s attention put a card with a color, for example a red, in front of your child. Say “(Child’s name) touch red”.
- Perfect outcome: child touches the “red”.
- Not so perfect outcome: your child just sits there.
- Reengage your child by saying his/her name and or touching his/her arm and repeat the instruction “(Child’s name) touch “red”?”, then prompt your child to touch the circle.
After that engage your child again and repeat. If your child touches the right card, reinforce. If not repeat the steps from above. Repeat it three times and if your child still is not getting it move on to a different task and come back to it later.
Also once your child gets the prompted instruction right, redirect your child to a simple task he/she has mastered and then go back to the original instruction to make sure your child got it.
It might take your child a while, a couple days maybe even a couple weeks, to grasp the concept of what is asked of him/her. Don’t get frustrated and stick with the program. Your child will get there! Reinforce (Praise) a right response or even if your child is trying really hard. In the video you will see a demonstration of how to run “ROL with colors” program.
Items you need
Pictures/cards of colors, objects in one color.