Receptive Feature Function & Category (RFFC)
The objective of RFFC is for your child to be independently able to identify an object or item on a card by it’s feature, function or category.
What to do
1. Sit on the floor or table with your child.
2. Engage your child by saying his name and or touching his arm.
3. After you have your child’s attention put 3 cards in front of your child; for example a car, a cow and a bed. Ask one question about each card which should indicate either a feature (e.g color), function (e.g. drives) or category (e.g. an furniture). Say “(Child’s name) which one is red?”, and follow steps 4 and 5. After that say “(Child’s name) show me the one that says “moo”. Follow steps 4 and 5. Finally say “(Child’s name) touch the one that is furniture”. Follow steps 4 and 5.
4. Perfect outcome: child touches the right card”.
5. Not so perfect outcome: your child just sits there.
a. Reengage your child by saying his/her name and or touching his/her arm and repeat the instruction “(Child’s name) find/touch/show me “_____.”, then prompt your child to touch the right card.
After that engage your child again and repeat. If your child touches the right picture, reinforce. If not repeat the steps from above.
Repeat it three times and if your child still is not getting it move on to a different task and come back to it later. Also once your child gets the prompted instruction right, redirect your child to a simple task he/she has mastered and then go back to the original instruction to make sure your child got it.
RFFC is a complex and advanced skill for your child to have.
It teaches your child to sort items by feature, function and category. Make sure you change your wording on your questions to “touch the ___, show me _____, where is _______, find ______ .by doing so your child will learn that there is more than one way to ask a question. It might take your child a while, a couple days maybe even a couple weeks, to grasp the concept of what is asked of him/her. Don’t get frustrated and stick with the program. Your child will get there! Reinforce (Praise) a right response or even if your child is trying really hard. In the video you will see a demonstration of how to run “RFFC” program. If you have any further questions or concerns please join our support desk.
Items you need
Cards/Pictures of items your child has already mastered in in ROL with cards.