Pretend Play is a great way to engage your child and have some fun. Start with simple things such as: “Pretend to be a dog”, continue on to pretend to be at the grocery store, being a king, queen, doctor, fire fighter, being at the post office, etc.
What to do
- Sit on the floor with your child.
- Engage your child by either saying your child’s name or by touching his/her arm.
- Say” (your child’s name) let’s pretend to be a dog”. Then show your child how to be a dog(crawl and bark).
- Perfect outcome: your child does what you do: crawls and barks. Praise.
- Not so perfect outcome: your child just sits there.
- Prompt your child through the motions. Show him/her again what a dog does and then say “Pretend to be a dog”. Your child does it. Praise OR your child still doesn’t know what to do. Show him/her again and repeat step 3. Try for about 3 times and then move on to a new task and come back to it later. Once your child has followed your instructions, have your child to something completely different and then repeat step 3 again to make sure your child really got it.
It might take your child a couple weeks maybe even month to get pretend paly. Don’t’ give up and make it fun. If you have any further questions please feel free to contact me at [email protected]
Items you need
Any pretend dolls Dress up clothes