EOL with Objects
The objective of EOL with objects is for your child to be able to identify an object by using a word, sign, approximation or an electronic communication device.
What to do for this Lesson
- Sit on the floor or table with your child.
- Engage your child by saying his name and or touching his arm.
- After you have your child’s attention hold up a desired object, let’s say a car, and say “(child’s name) what is it?”
- There are a three different ways of a perfect outcome . . . Depending on your child’s ability to communicate.
- Your child can either sign for “car”
- Your child says “car”
- Your child uses an electronic device to communicate “car”.
- Not so perfect outcome: your child doesn’t respond at all.
- Reengage your child by saying his/her name and or touching his/her arm and repeat the instruction “(Child’s name) what is it?”, then prompt your child depending on your child’s communications level.
- Help your child sign “car” or say the word “car” again or show your child the icon on his/her communication device for car and press it.
After that engage your child again and repeat. If your child gives the right answer, reinforce. If not repeat the steps from above. Repeat it three times and if your child still is not getting it move on to a different task and come back to it later. Also once your child gets the prompted instruction right, redirect your child to a simple task he/she has mastered, like clap, and then go back to the original instruction to make sure your child got it.
It might take your child a while, a couple days maybe even a couple weeks, to grasp the concept of what is asked of him/her. Don’t get frustrated and stick with the program. Your child will get there! Reinforce (Praise) a right response or even if your child is trying really hard. In the video you will see a demonstration of how to run “ROL with objects” program. If you have any further questions or concerns please feel free to contact me at ———-.
Items you need
Any object your child has mastered in receptive skills.