EOL with community helpers
The objective of EOL with community helpers is for your child to be able to identify community helpers by using a word, sign, approximation or an electronic communication device.
Instructions for Lesson
- Sit on the floor or table with your child.
- Engage your child by saying his name and or touching his arm.
- After you have your child’s attention hold up a picture of a community helper, let’s say a police officer, and say “(child’s name) who is it?”
- There are a three different ways of a perfect outcome, depending on your child’s ability to communicate. Your child’s answer can either be . . . A) Your child signs “police officer.” . . . B) Your child says “police officer”. . . C) Your child uses an electronic device to communicate “police officer”.
Not so perfect outcome: your child doesn’t respond at all.
- Reengage your child by saying his/her name and or touching his/her arm and repeat the instruction “(Child’s name) who is it?”, then prompt your child depending on your child’s communications level.
- help your child sign “police officer.”
- Say the word “block” police officer.
- Show your child the icon on his/her communication device for ”police officer”.
After that engage your child again and repeat. If your child gives the right answer, reinforce. If not repeat the steps from above. Repeat it three times and if your child still is not getting it move on to a different task and come back to it later. Also once your child gets the prompted instruction right, redirect your child to a simple task he/she has mastered, like clap, and then go back to the original instruction to make sure your child got it.
It might take your child a while, a couple days maybe even a couple weeks, to grasp the concept of what is asked of him/her. Don’t get frustrated and stick with the program. Your child will get there! Reinforce (Praise) a right response or even if your child is trying really hard. In the video you will see a demonstration of how to run “ROL with community helpers” program. If you have any further questions or concerns please feel free to contact me at ———-.
Items you need
Any community helper child has mastered in receptive skills.